Joining the activities of the MSSRF office: helped me best to understand the place, its culture and people. Some of the activities supported by MSSRF:
1. Medical Camps: – team led by Capt. Dr. Rajan, our nurse – Mrs. Sussela and lab technician – Mr. Sivakumar; help in solving the difficulties to healthcare, posed by deficiency of transportation and financial issues.
2. Agriculture:- Coconut Tree management and harvesting training, organic farming in homes and farms, floriculture – Nerium and Jasmine; improving incomes and social status and reducing the toxicity (nicotine) of ground water in farms where previously tobacco was grown.
3. Revolving Funds: – utilized for all kinds of activities by each family in the village. Money disbursed after taking consensus from within the community.
4. Village Knowledge Centre: – where people gather to collect information, attend classes, have meetings etc.
5. Preservation of Flora: – creation and maintenance of Tropical Dry Evergreen Forest and Genetic garden for Halophytes